Sunday 17 March 2013

Songs on Sunday: Madison's picks





Today is the first day we're starting our Sunday playlists - and it's a bunch of fun! Over here at The Refinery we love music, so this is fun for us & fun for you! 

Maybe you're looking for some new tunes to take to the gym with you, play in the background of your next dinner party, or just listen to in the car - well, we've got options!

This week, my picks are mainly upbeat - but not necessarily dance-y - except for my very last pick Stay, which I will get to in a minute.

My very favourite song on this list (right now) is The Mother We Share, by Chvrches. I first heard it the other day, and I just can't stop listening to it! It has a great energy, and when I listen to this song my mood instantly becomes a better one. This is a definite must-listen, I think!

The Born Ruffians make me want to sing out loud - I just really love this song. I know, my descriptive words are lacking a bit, as I keep saying I just love all of these songs - but seriously! These are good picks! That being said, this band is different, but not too different...if you get what I'm saying! I played it for my siblings last night, all of us with really different tastes in music (one is a country & pop lover, and another is into hard-core rap & Grease - yes, Grease!) and by the end of it, they both wanted this song on their iPods! It is a bit of a slow starter, so don't give, at least listen to the whole thing once! 

Prairie Girl, by Rah Rah is just a lovely song - it's upbeat, it's fun, it's Canadian - what more could you ask for? Are you a prairie girl? If so (and even if not), you have to listen to this one! 

Do you need a dance tune? This is it! I'm sure most of us have trouble waking up in the morning, it's hard, the bed is warm, cozy and sometimes filled with a loved one - it's hard to drag yourself out of there and hop in the shower and get ready for the day. But tomorrow, I swear - turn on This Head I Hold, and you'll be dancing right into your socks! 

Now, Stay, by Rihanna is sort of unlike me. I am not usually a big Rihanna listener - but I heard this song at the Grammy's and all I can say is wow! It totally surpirsed me, as I didn't think of Rihanna as this type of musician before, which wasn't really fair I guess! Anyway, this song is beautiful and it is my "down time" song for the week - though it is quite sad. However, it's easy on the ears! 

Enjoy! 

Next Sunday, we'll have Ainsley's top five for the week!



2 comments:

  1. First heard CHVRCHES on Songza a few weeks ago and died a little. Amazing, definitely want to check out the rest of their album. Beautiful work, Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great? I tried to buy it on iTunes and was super disappointed when it wasn't on there! I am so glad you liked the picks! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2013 The Refinery Magazine | Design By 2317studio | Powered By Blogger